HIPAA Compliance Training
This service provides HITECH / HIPAA compliance training, including training regarding the ramifications of the HITECH Act on your policies, processes and tracking mechanisms. The HITECH Act transforms HIPAA into legislation that will continue to have a significant effect on the healthcare industry as widespread use of electronic health records increases.
As co-authors of the HIPAA Survival Guide, we have spent a considerable amount of time not only reviewing and dissecting the statute and regulations, but developing a pragmatic approach to assist clients in moving forward on the compliance continuum. Training is an important aspect of how to iteratively improve your ability to provide visible demonstrable evidence of compliance.
What training modules are available?
Our HIPAA Training consists of a set of modules that will quickly get your organization up to speed regarding the changes that the HITECH Act has introduced to HIPAA. Each training session is based on our commercially-off-the-shelf training (COTs) and customized to uniquely fit the requirements of your organization.
The modules that we currently have available are as follows:
- Introduction to the HITECH Act: our HITECH Training Module gets you up to speed on the changes that have transformed HIPAA from a paper tiger into legislation with real teeth.
- Breach Notification under HITECH: Our HITECH Breach NotificationTraining Module gets you up to speed regarding the 800 pound gorilla of the HITECH Act. We walk you through a methodology for determining when notification is triggered, and how to notify patients, HHS, and prominent media according to applicable law. We also discuss the processes you need to have in place in order to track security incidents effectively in your organization. Finally, we review the Costs of Non-Compliance to ensure that you understand the potential risks your organization faces should a major breach occur.
- HIPAA Business Associates under HITECH: Our HIPAA Business Associates Under HITECH Training Module gets you up to speed regarding how the HITECH Act has impacted Business Associates and the implications of these changes with respect to: 1) the HIPAA Security Rule; 2) the HIPAA Privacy Rule; and 3) the Breach Notification Rule. We walk you through the changing relationship between Business Associates and Covered Entities and how the HITECH Act is having a transformative effect on how these parties work together going forward. We also cover changes to the Business Associate Contract required and otherwise necessitated by the Act.
- HIPAA Security Rule under HITECH: Our HIPAA Security Rule Under HITECH Training Module gets you up to speed regarding how the HITECH Act has impacted the HIPAA Security Rule and how marketplace trends are impacting it as well. We walk you through the entirety of the Security Rule and discuss the impact that the HITECH Act has had under three major sections: 1) Administrative Safeguards; § 164.308; 2) the Technical Safeguards § 164.312; and 3) the Physical Safeguards § 164.310.
- HIPAA Privacy Rule under HITECH: Our HIPAA Privacy Rule Under HITECH Training Module gets you up to speed regarding how the HITECH Act has impacted the HIPAA Privacy Rule and how marketplace trends are impacting it as well. We walk you through the entirety of the Privacy Rule and discuss the impact that the HITECH Act has had under three major sections: 1) Uses and Disclosures of PHI contained in Sections § 164.502 through § 164.514; 2) the Patient's Bill of Rights contained in Sections § 164.520 through § 164.528; and 3) the Administrative Requirements contained in Section § 164.530.
Our HIPAA Training is provided by one of the leading authorities on HITECH / HIPAA Compliance.
Who provides the training?
The training is provided by Carlos Leyva, co-author of the HIPAA Survival Guide and a leading authority on HITECH / HIPAA compliance. Thousands of compliance professionals subscribe to his HITECH / HIPAA Compliance Newletter and hundreds regularly attend his FREE webinars (see the newsletter for announcements, archived copies are here). Carlos is also a sought after speaker at industry conferences and in other venues.
What does it cost?
The cost is $500 (USD) per training module. Each training session cosists of four hours of professional services generally broken down as follows: 1) one hour of preparation; 2) two hours of presentation and Q&A; and 3) one hour to answer followup questions. The training is provided as an online webinar and is open to as many students as the organization wants to send.
What are the deliverables?
In addition to the live training as outlined above, the organization will get a copy of our COTS Training on the analogous topic. This module can be reused over and over as you add new members to your workforce.
Scheduling a class?
Classses usually need to be scheduled a couple of weeks in advance. The best way to kickoff the process is to use our Contact Us page and enter HIPAA Training as the reason for inquiry.